Skip to main content

A year long fight against Triple Negative Breast Cancer


It has been over a year of fighting this horrible cancer. What a year it has been. 

I was diagnosed on the 27th January 2022 with Triple Negative Breast Cancer after turning 40 and having a routine mammogram. I had no signs or symptoms but was just being precautionary. So I was in a bit of shock when the news was broken to me. I was 40 and couldn’t believe I had the most aggressive type of breast cancer. 

The next six months was the hardest six months I had experienced. It started with dose dense red devil which was the harshest treatment to experience. It took my hair, energy, and zest for life. The fatigue was the hardest but I managed to push through each day. Scans at the end of the 4 dose dense treatments showed that this drug had shrunk my cancer significantly which was a motivator to keep going. 

The next stage was dose dense Taxol. I was meant to have 12 doses but because I had managed the dose dense regime with the red devil drug they decided to go dose dense with this drug also. The first dose dense (3 doses in 1) I ended up with Peripheral Neuropathy in my fingers and toes. This was a concern because this condition can become long term so it had to be monitored. I completed the next dose dense treatment and the neuropathy got worse. My fine motor control was hard with simple things like buttoning up clothes and tying shoe laces. I ended up having the next treatments reduced and all up I had the equivalent of 10 treatments out of 12. It was stopped short to try and prevent long term damage. 

After five months of intensive chemo, I had a lumpectomy to remove the cancer. So nice to finally remove the cancer from my body. My histology showed that the margins around the cancer were all clear which means they got all of the cancer. The lymph nodes were clear and some other test that looks at lymph channels that can turn into blood vessels and transfer the cancer into the blood system were all clear which is another positive outcome. 

I then healed up from surgery and started six months of oral chemotherapy. This involved three tablets on the morning and three at night for two weeks and then one week off. The tablets mop up any microscopic cancer cells left over from surgery. The chemo tablets takes my risk of reoccurrence not happening from 56.1% to 69.8%. Got to be happier with those percentages.These tablets had limited side effects. The main problem I had was my liver function wasn’t the best and towards the end fatigue set in. Early January, a week before my one year diagnosis, I finished the tablets. 

Move forward six weeks and I am four days out for my double mastectomy and reconstruction. When I was diagnosed with cancer I never expected that treatment would go for over a year. Surgery will take me four to six weeks to heal. I just hope it’s is the last step in this fight for my life. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2 years from diagnosis

Today is my two year anniversary from my triple negative breast cancer diagnosis and one year from the end of treatment. I am so grateful that I am here and able to write this blog. The hardship, that has been the last two years, has made me so much stronger.  It has not been all rainbows and butterflies since fighting the terrible disease. The after effects of chemotherapy have left me with long term issues such as weak bones, osteoarthritis, neuropathy and plantar fasciitis in my feet, lack of fitness and the inability to lose weight and then the mental side of things which is all to do with the fear of the disease coming back.  On top of that, the day I was told that my margins were clear from my lumpectomy was the day my mum went in to have a mass looked at in her pancreas which turned out to be pancreatic cancer which is terminal. The timing of this was ironic as I couldn’t celebrate the feeling of surviving this horrible disease when mum was at the beginning of her cancer journey

Chemotherapy Fatigue

  One of the major side effects of Chemotherapy treatment is fatigue. Initially, I thought a bit of fatigue will be ok. A few extra naps on the couch won’t hurt. That won’t be a major side effect for me. Self-discovery through triple negative cancer has shown me otherwise. How do I explain fatigue? Fatigue is not a simple tiredness and with a rest you feel better. It does not resemble a hangover or a night of insomnia. It is not a simple physical reaction to the chemotherapy.  This is my explanation of fatigue… Fatigue is an all encompassing black cloud that engulfs you on Day 6 and 7 of chemotherapy drawing every last molecule of energy out of your body so that you are simply left with a human frame lying horizontally on something soft. You are unable to move from the position of horizontal because there is nothing that is willing to work to hold your body upright. A simple hand under my head allows me to at least hold my head up to take a look around. My brain is working in slow moti

My Diagnosis

This is the first entry of my breast cancer journey, so let’s start right at the beginning with my diagnosis.  In October 2021, I turned the big 40 and celebrated all of the amazing things in my life with my family and friends. Part of turning 40 meant that I needed to be proactive and get my health checked. I went and had a skin check and had a general health check and all was great. My next health check was a mammogram. A close friend of mine had recently been diagnosed with breast cancer and it was because of her that I finally booked in to having my first mammogram. On the 12th of January I went and had my first ever mammogram and then continued on with my life without even a second thought. On the 19th of January, I was at work and I received a phone call from Breast Clinic informing me that my mammogram had come back with a cloudy patch on my right breast that looked different to the rest of my mammogram results and as it is my first mammogram and they had nothing to compare it t