Skip to main content

My hair loss journey


Today I lost my hair, but gained inner strength knowing that chemo is fighting bloody hard to fight this cancer inside of me. The chemo attacks rapid cell growth which includes hair and skin cells. So knowing that the chemo is making my hair fall out means knowing that it is attacking the triple negative cancer in my breast. 

I didn’t know what to expect when they said you will lose your hair. Do I just wake up with no hair, does it come out in clumps?? So I have journaled the process to show you what you can expect if you have chemo and lose your hair. 

This was me before chemo, blonde curly hair.


I started chemo 19 days ago so I managed to keep my hair for 19 days. It started to fall out slowly at first at around day 6 and then each day it significantly got more and more strands of hair coming out. On day 9 my head felt tender like it was sunburnt and was lacking nutrients, feeling like straw so I decided to give myself a little hair cut to freshen it back up somewhat. 



I brought some silk pillowcases which helped me sleep comfortable while my hair was beginning to fall out. I also ended up just using conditioner as the shampoo was drying my hair out so much more. 

Day 14 was my second round of chemo and this is when I really noticed handfuls of hair coming out just by running my fingers through my hair.


I was significantly losing hair from day 14 to day 19. I ended up with a massive dready where my hair just matted together and there was no way I could get a hair brush through it. So I cut it out. 


My hair had thinned out really bad on top. It seemed to come out from the top half of my head first and then started lower down. It was last night that I felt like I had little prickles sticking in my scalp when trying to sleep and I woke up today knowing that day 19 was the day that I would lose my hair. 

I borrowed my partners clippers and got my two daughters and my mum to help me out and be part of this experience with me. My eldest daughter cut and shaved it for me with help from my mum. My youngest daughter was happy to sit and watch and give moral support. 



I couldn’t believe how grey my hair is and it is still really patchy. That will probably continue to fall out. Once finished, we had some pictures to mark the occasion. 





I tried some of my turbans on to see how they fit without hair. I also tried my wig on that I borrowed from the wig library at cancer council. I am not overly keen on the wig, but feel very comfortable in the turbans. 





So physically I have removed my hair and am feeling relieved that I have finally done it. Emotionally, I feel ok. My biggest fear of all of this is now knowing that I can’t hide from everyone knowing I have cancer. When I step into the community people will know by looking at me which simply takes away my ability to control my environment. I suppose day 19 for me was the day I come to terms with the fact that I have cancer and I am fully into fighting this.  

I can no longer hide behind my hair but instead show the world that I am in this fighting hard. The strength I have gained from knowing that the chemo is working its powers to fight this is unbelievable. I love the person who I am on the inside and I know that those surrounding me love me for who I am on the inside also. 

For anyone who has to go through this, you are also a fighter and a warrior and I support you the whole way. One step at a time, one day at a time and we will get through this. 

I am looking forward to my hair journey at the end of all this. Will be interesting to see how it grows back 💕





Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Taxol Dose Dense Treatment

My first experience with Taxol dose dense treatment follows two months of AC dose dense treatment and was certainly something to write about. Obviously everyone’s experience is different and I can only reflect on my experience with the drug.  Dose dense basically means that I receive the chemotherapy drugs with less time between treatments than standard chemotherapy which allows the drugs to interrupt the rapid growth phase of the tumour cells.  There has been a fair bit of research completed on the benefits of dose dense and one article in particular grabbed my attention. It is called ‘Dose Dense-Intensive Chemotherapy Improves Survival in Early Stage Breast Cancer.’ (Cancerconnect, 2020).  A couple of stats within this article state that: Overall survival was improved by nearly 30% among the women treated with dose-dense chemotherapy. At 10 years, survival for women with hormone-negative breast cancer (cancer that is not stimulated to grow from exposure to female hormon...

Life saving lumpectomy

  Second part of this triple negative cancer journey involved having a lumpectomy to remove the remainder of the cancer. It had shrunk from 2.7cm to 0.5cm by the end of chemotherapy. Originally I was having a double mastectomy, but due to poor timing my plans changed to fit in with my surgical team. So next step was to have a lumpectomy to remove cancer and surrounding healthy tissue along with the removal of sentinel nodes. The sentinel node biopsy is a used to determine whether the cancer has spread beyond a primary tumour into the lymphatic system. The cancer is also tested to see if it is still active or if it is pathologically cancer free (PCR).  I arrived at radiology at 8am in the morning to undergo the first part of this procedure. They needed to put radioactivity into my lymph channels. This was the most painful part of any procedure I have had to date with breast cancer. The lovely nurse (who I knew) placed the needle directly into the areola and it felt like a bee s...

Triple Negative Breast Cancer

How can I have Triple Negative Breast Cancer when I am a triple positive person? Just the term triple negative sounds depressing.  Shortly after being diagnosed with breast cancer, I had a call from my surgeon to inform me that I have what is called a ‘Triple Negative Breast Cancer,’ which is an aggressive cancer and that I would be needing chemotherapy before surgery.  So what is Triple Negative Breast Cancer?  Triple Negative Breast Cancer is negative to: Oestrogen receptor progesterone receptor Protein HER2 This means that the cancer does not use oestrogen, progesterone or HER2 to grow. Therefore, the drugs used to treat these types of breast cancer are not effective for Triple Negative Breast Cancer. The main treatment for this type of cancer is chemotherapy. I will be having 16 rounds of Chemotherapy starting next Tuesday. Breast Cancer Network Australia state that chemotherapy is the only systemic (treating the whole body) treatment for fighting this cancer. The mai...