Skip to main content

Chemotherapy Fatigue

 


One of the major side effects of Chemotherapy treatment is fatigue. Initially, I thought a bit of fatigue will be ok. A few extra naps on the couch won’t hurt. That won’t be a major side effect for me. Self-discovery through triple negative cancer has shown me otherwise.

How do I explain fatigue? Fatigue is not a simple tiredness and with a rest you feel better. It does not resemble a hangover or a night of insomnia. It is not a simple physical reaction to the chemotherapy. 

This is my explanation of fatigue…

Fatigue is an all encompassing black cloud that engulfs you on Day 6 and 7 of chemotherapy drawing every last molecule of energy out of your body so that you are simply left with a human frame lying horizontally on something soft. You are unable to move from the position of horizontal because there is nothing that is willing to work to hold your body upright. A simple hand under my head allows me to at least hold my head up to take a look around. My brain is working in slow motion and can’t even begin to think about watching something on tv to get through the day as that would be too taxing for my mind. So I simply lie and sleep. I lie and sleep, I lie and sleep. When I awake do I feel any better?? Nope. It is the longest two days to get through and life is so arduous. It is at the lowest point in the treatment that those sad, niggly thoughts begin to appear. The thoughts you keep down so deep desperately hoping they don’t surface as you need to stay strong throughout this ordeal. For me the fatigue is that little bit worse each round of treatment. As the cloud begins to lift halfway through day 7 and you get the glimpse of some sun rays shining in on your soul, you take a deep breath, exhale and pull yourself together ready to take that next step in the right direction. 

I took the image above just to show that there are definitely days where I am good and also days where I am not. And although I have a positive attitude and am fighting this thing head on I am only human and have some pretty crappy days. 

My advice to anyone going through this is be at peace with any emotion you feel; know that some days are going to be really rough but then the sun comes out and you will feel better; you will hear people say just listen to your body and rest but let me tell you that won’t be an option as your body will simply give up on you and all you will be able to do is rest (Be ok with that); let your loved ones know when you are having a bad day as they can support you to get through it.

Comments

  1. I’m coming out of my first dose of AC, 3 more at 3 weekly intervals to go, followed by 12 weekly treatments.
    Since day 2 I’ve been bed ridden, nauseous and no stength- glued to the bed apart from trips to the toilet. My son brings me soup, I have water by my bed but I’m like a shell of myself- no petrol .
    How am I going to manage the next 4 months?
    I’m scared

    ReplyDelete
  2. I started my mom on it 3 weeks before where AC treatment because it takes 2 weeks to kick in the effects it’s a immune booster and digestive mushroom supplement the brand I got her was real mushroom she didn’t get sick the whole time other then brain fog for about 5 days but she was able to work out eat and do daily things and her oncologist didn’t understand how we feel that those supplements are a big part of recovery her mass went from 12cm to 2cm good luck I hope you can feel better

    ReplyDelete
  3. Im 42 years old, from Perth, tripple negative BC , had just finished 4 rounds of AC ... need to finish another 4 rounds of Taxol every 2weeks then surgery... just want to send some ❤❤❤ to you , i hope you can feel better soon

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Taxol Dose Dense Treatment

My first experience with Taxol dose dense treatment follows two months of AC dose dense treatment and was certainly something to write about. Obviously everyone’s experience is different and I can only reflect on my experience with the drug.  Dose dense basically means that I receive the chemotherapy drugs with less time between treatments than standard chemotherapy which allows the drugs to interrupt the rapid growth phase of the tumour cells.  There has been a fair bit of research completed on the benefits of dose dense and one article in particular grabbed my attention. It is called ‘Dose Dense-Intensive Chemotherapy Improves Survival in Early Stage Breast Cancer.’ (Cancerconnect, 2020).  A couple of stats within this article state that: Overall survival was improved by nearly 30% among the women treated with dose-dense chemotherapy. At 10 years, survival for women with hormone-negative breast cancer (cancer that is not stimulated to grow from exposure to female hormon...

Life saving lumpectomy

  Second part of this triple negative cancer journey involved having a lumpectomy to remove the remainder of the cancer. It had shrunk from 2.7cm to 0.5cm by the end of chemotherapy. Originally I was having a double mastectomy, but due to poor timing my plans changed to fit in with my surgical team. So next step was to have a lumpectomy to remove cancer and surrounding healthy tissue along with the removal of sentinel nodes. The sentinel node biopsy is a used to determine whether the cancer has spread beyond a primary tumour into the lymphatic system. The cancer is also tested to see if it is still active or if it is pathologically cancer free (PCR).  I arrived at radiology at 8am in the morning to undergo the first part of this procedure. They needed to put radioactivity into my lymph channels. This was the most painful part of any procedure I have had to date with breast cancer. The lovely nurse (who I knew) placed the needle directly into the areola and it felt like a bee s...

Triple Negative Breast Cancer

How can I have Triple Negative Breast Cancer when I am a triple positive person? Just the term triple negative sounds depressing.  Shortly after being diagnosed with breast cancer, I had a call from my surgeon to inform me that I have what is called a ‘Triple Negative Breast Cancer,’ which is an aggressive cancer and that I would be needing chemotherapy before surgery.  So what is Triple Negative Breast Cancer?  Triple Negative Breast Cancer is negative to: Oestrogen receptor progesterone receptor Protein HER2 This means that the cancer does not use oestrogen, progesterone or HER2 to grow. Therefore, the drugs used to treat these types of breast cancer are not effective for Triple Negative Breast Cancer. The main treatment for this type of cancer is chemotherapy. I will be having 16 rounds of Chemotherapy starting next Tuesday. Breast Cancer Network Australia state that chemotherapy is the only systemic (treating the whole body) treatment for fighting this cancer. The mai...