Skip to main content

My Diagnosis


This is the first entry of my breast cancer journey, so let’s start right at the beginning with my diagnosis. 

In October 2021, I turned the big 40 and celebrated all of the amazing things in my life with my family and friends. Part of turning 40 meant that I needed to be proactive and get my health checked. I went and had a skin check and had a general health check and all was great. My next health check was a mammogram. A close friend of mine had recently been diagnosed with breast cancer and it was because of her that I finally booked in to having my first mammogram. On the 12th of January I went and had my first ever mammogram and then continued on with my life without even a second thought. On the 19th of January, I was at work and I received a phone call from Breast Clinic informing me that my mammogram had come back with a cloudy patch on my right breast that looked different to the rest of my mammogram results and as it is my first mammogram and they had nothing to compare it to they would like me to head to Hobart on the 21st for further testing. 

On the 21st of January,  I made the four hour drive to Hobart for my appointment. To begin with I had a chat with the breast care nurse and she explained the process for the day. Basically most people have a 3D mammogram and an ultrasound and then the breast cancer doctor will take a look at the scan and then if all clear you are out the door. If further tests need to be done then a core biopsy would be the most likely test to be performed. So with that information I felt comfortable in knowing what was coming up. I was then called up for my mammogram and ultrasound. The doctor then took a look at my results and informed me that because my breast tissue is quite dense she couldn’t tick off all of her criteria that says it is not cancer. The lump that has been identified is sitting 5cm deep behind my nipple and the doctor informed me that she felt very confident that it was a cyst and so she would perform a test where she would place a needle into the lump and try to break the skin so that the liquid would come out of the cyst and the lump would change shape on the ultrasound proving that it is a cyst. This was slightly difficult as it was hard to reach the lump with a needle so after going in from a couple of different directions the lump was finally reached and unfortunately it didn’t change shape. The next step was then to perform a core biopsy. Three of these were done to make sure a sample was taken from the lump. The doctor informed me that she thought it was a cyst but it’s not so she was thinking it is most likely going to be a benign lump called a fibroadenomas. So I left my appointment feeling like everything was going to be ok. 

On Thursday the 27th of January I headed to the doctor by myself, not feeling that concerned as I was thinking it was going to be benign. This was not the case. The doctor informs me that the lump is malignant and I have breast cancer. It was very overwhelming and unexpected. I had no signs or symptoms, simply got a mammogram because of my friend’s experience. The lump is so deep that it can’t be felt. If I had of waited to get signs or symptoms then the cancer would have been a lot further along so I am so thankful this has been picked up now. The doctor informed me that it would take one to two weeks to hear from the surgeon. The whole situation was surreal. It didn’t really sink in until I told my family. 

The following day I had a call from the surgeon’s receptionist to book me in for an appointment. So much for one to two weeks but I was happy that things were going fast. An hour later the surgeon rings up and tells me that she has been going over my results and I have been diagnosed with a triple negative cancer which is extremely aggressive and that I will be needing to have chemotherapy for the next six months before my surgery. My heart sank getting off the phone as things just seemed to be getting worse. I then started googling which was possibly the worst thing I could do. 

My next blog will go into more details about triple negative breast cancer and my first appointment at the surgeon. 

Please if you are reading this and are 40 years plus then make sure you get a regular mammogram. 

I have decided to write this blog to journal my experience, keep anyone who wants to know my progress up to date rather than having to relive the experience multiple times by having the same conversations and to hopefully pass on breast cancer awareness and maybe help save someone else’s life through early detection. 

Comments

  1. I’m Following you all the way Tamieka. You are so very courageous. I can’t even start ti imagine the physical and mental roller coaster you are going through right now. Sending positive thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. dr itua healing herbs the worst moment has passed, however, it is true that there are more improvements than before… due to the growing number of people living with hiv in the state of nevada. How could they stigmatize them all? then everything becomes a little easier and we begin to share everything... We also began to invite each other and visit each other in the community. You know, it's been six years since I started taking antiretroviral drugs… However, regardless of the problems I faced, the worst moment was when my mother evicted me from the family home, and my father rented me a small room. but my mother and my brothers believed that having hiv was my fault and that I deserved to be punished… I also considered myself unworthy and hopeless… but I have a son and eventually I convinced myself to live for my son's reason. my mother didn't know anything [about hiv]. She didn't understand anything. You know why? she did not have [the opportunity] to leave the house and communicate with society. However, my father interacts with the community. I know that his friends are mature and dignified in Africa America. so he has a better understanding than her. my father came to call me one sad day sitting on my sofa about a friend of his from africa who introduced him to dr itua herbal cure in africa in which he advised me that we should buy his herbal medicine to cure my hiv, so we did and dr itua prescribed me that i should take the herbal medicine for two weeks to cure myself, although we were very curious about the whole thing, i finished the herbal medicine as he advised, then he told me to visit the nearest clinic for a check up i did and now i am totally cured of hiv my father was my rock and me and my family are now happy together too dr itua has been helpful in my community since he cured my hiv and tinnitus so why do i quit my story here today is to get someone here to hope in god and never give up no matter what situation you are facing especially during this pandemic season which has really taught us all how we should s help each other and appreciate each other. dr itua cures the following diseases... herpes, liver cancer, throat cancer, leukemia. , alzheimer's disease, chronic diarrhea, cop, parkinson's, als, infectious mononucleosis adrenocortical carcinoma. bowel cancer, uterine cancer, fibroid, bladder cancer, HIV, esophageal cancer, gallbladder cancer, kidney cancer, HPV, lung cancer, melanoma, mesothelioma, multiple myeloma, oral cancer, sinus cancer, hepatitis a, b/c, skin cancer, soft tissue sarcoma, spinal cancer, stomach cancer, vaginal cancer, tinnitus, vulvar cancer, testicular cancer, thyroid cancer. you can contact dritua herbal center at email: drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com .www.drituaherbalcenter.com.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

2 years from diagnosis

Today is my two year anniversary from my triple negative breast cancer diagnosis and one year from the end of treatment. I am so grateful that I am here and able to write this blog. The hardship, that has been the last two years, has made me so much stronger.  It has not been all rainbows and butterflies since fighting the terrible disease. The after effects of chemotherapy have left me with long term issues such as weak bones, osteoarthritis, neuropathy and plantar fasciitis in my feet, lack of fitness and the inability to lose weight and then the mental side of things which is all to do with the fear of the disease coming back.  On top of that, the day I was told that my margins were clear from my lumpectomy was the day my mum went in to have a mass looked at in her pancreas which turned out to be pancreatic cancer which is terminal. The timing of this was ironic as I couldn’t celebrate the feeling of surviving this horrible disease when mum was at the beginning of her cancer journey

Chemotherapy Fatigue

  One of the major side effects of Chemotherapy treatment is fatigue. Initially, I thought a bit of fatigue will be ok. A few extra naps on the couch won’t hurt. That won’t be a major side effect for me. Self-discovery through triple negative cancer has shown me otherwise. How do I explain fatigue? Fatigue is not a simple tiredness and with a rest you feel better. It does not resemble a hangover or a night of insomnia. It is not a simple physical reaction to the chemotherapy.  This is my explanation of fatigue… Fatigue is an all encompassing black cloud that engulfs you on Day 6 and 7 of chemotherapy drawing every last molecule of energy out of your body so that you are simply left with a human frame lying horizontally on something soft. You are unable to move from the position of horizontal because there is nothing that is willing to work to hold your body upright. A simple hand under my head allows me to at least hold my head up to take a look around. My brain is working in slow moti